A voice for the voiceless

By Fernando Aguilar

Edited by Sammi Davis

Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 10.33.24 PMWhen thinking about what my voice is, immediately what came to mind was a figure in my country nicknamed ‘the voice of the voiceless’: Archbishop Óscar Romero. This national hero was renowed for fighting for the poor and his honesty, and for seeking justice during war times.

As time moves forward, few voices have inspired like Romero’s. I aspire to find a voice like his, a voice that brings hope and consciousnes. I believe this is what is needed not only now, but throughout history.

Of course, I know that this quest for finding my voice is complicated. Nevertheless, I understand that this analogy of the “voice” is related to my personality and my whole being. The voice metaphor is just to make it more appealing, but in the end, we are talking about a person’s values and desires here.

I will close this reflection with a quote from Archbishop Romero, who will very likely be canonized by the Catholic Church under the period of Pope Francis.

“We must overturn so many idols, the idol of self first of all, so that we can be humble, and only from our humility can learn to be redeemers, can learn to work together in the way the world really needs. Liberation that raises a cry against others is no true liberation. Liberation that means revolutions of hate and violence and takes away lives of others or abases the dignity of others cannot be true liberty.”

Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 10.34.45 PM

From the Gallery of 20th-century martyrs at Westminster Abbey- Mother Elizabeth of Russia, Rev. Martin Luther King, Archbishop Óscar Romero and Pastor Dietrich Bonhoeffer*

@fjaguilarr

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/132793.Oscar_A_Romero

*Pictures and description taken from Wikipedia under Commons license