“Leadership on Opposite Sides of the Frontline”

jb_wwii_stalin_1_e

By: Elizabeth Blackburn

With: Armen Sargsyan

Andrew Romanov

Evaldas La

Being a leader does not always mean one does what is best for his or her people. Sometimes a leader is one who is able to make decisions or exert the most power and control. In the case of Winston Churchill and Joseph Stalin, these leaders demonstrate very different tactics and methods of persuasion in order to achieve their individual goals and missions.

A joke that the group shared in class today is about a conversation between Churchill and Stalin. A third party is listening and hears Stalin say, “No, No, No, No, Yes, No, No, No.” and the man asks what he said yes to and Stalin replies that Churchill asked if he could hear him. This joke exemplifies the relationship between Churchill and Stalin; they agreed on pretty much nothing!

Stalin ruled through violence and a position of total control. These two quotes illustrate these ideas.

It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.”

To choose one’s victims, to prepare one’s plans minutely, to slake an implacable vengeance, and then to go to bed – there is nothing sweeter in the world.”

Lenin_and_stalin

(Lenin and Stalin)

There is no involvement or concern to the people of a country because only the thoughts and ideas of an authoritative power are considered valid and necessary.

On the other side of the spectrum, Churchill ruled in a more diplomatic and democratic manner. He opposed the leadership of dictators and wanted to encourage and support people. Below are some of the quotes that describe him.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.”

“In the course of my life I have often had to eat my words, and I must confess that I have always found it a wholesome diet.”

“Dictators ride to and fro upon tigers which they dare not dismount. And the tigers are getting hungry.”

Winston Churchill Broadcast From White House

I personally love quotes and think that they can be inspiring and telling about a person’s character. I have a Churchill bookmark quote that tells me to “Never, never, never, quit” and it is amazing how the words of leaders can move a people to do and have positive and negative actions and thoughts.

I would like to propose the question of how words can be utilized on opposite sides of an argument. Both of these men used their words in ways that were positive and negative. There are links below that show them in action.

Churchill speech

Stalin speech

4 Comments on ““Leadership on Opposite Sides of the Frontline””

1. Elizabeth, Andrew, Evaldas and Armen,

I really enjoyed your group’s comparison between Stalin and Churchill. It is insane to see how two people who were in power at the same time could be so different! The joke your group shared really expressed how different these two global leaders were. I loved seeing how both Stalin and Churchill’s backgrounds shaped them into the leaders that they became. I think that the idea of their different backgrounds all go back to the question as to whether great leaders are born or made. I always tend to think that great leaders are a combination of the two. While Churchill was born into privileges and wealth that gave him a good advantage of being a great leader, he still grew and developed as a leader through the military and his other life experiences.

Great work!

2. Your group had a great presentation and I liked how you compared the styles of two very different leaders. Your presentation gave good insight into what influenced their leadership styles and how they were as people. I agree that quotes can be very telling of a person’s character and I think you chose some great quotes to show Churchill’s personality. I also enjoyed the joke you shared! Nice job!

3. Churchill and Stalin crew,

Really cool idea to profile these two men. I must say I learned a lot from the presentation and this piece. I have to say that while he was very disturbing, Stalin is the most interesting of the two for me. I think it’s really interesting how different their styles were. I know that Churchill is still revered but would be interested to hear about how Russians feel about him now. Over all great work.

Dave

4. Your group had such an interesting topic to cover. Comparing these two leaders was a really great way to not only see two very different leadership styles but to visualize the two together during times of war and peace. We always hear about the big three meetings, including Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt during Yalta in 1945, but we don’t often realize just how different each of them are. To talk a little bit about your ending question, I’d say both manage to speak rather fervently, using words to engage their audience and inspire. Even though they fought for different ideals you cannot dispute the fact that they both knew how to draw a crowd.