Final thoughts on leadership and the Humphrey Seminar

(Photo Courtesy of Flickr)
(Photo Courtesy of Flickr)

When I first read the syllabus for the class and learned that our main topic to examine was leadership, I was a bit puzzled. I thought leadership couldn’t be taught, it was an instinct and something you practice and improve on. I didn’t think it could be learned from others, but something you discover inside of yourself. I was half wrong.

I have learned so much from my fellow attaches, the Humphrey fellows and our instructor, Dr. Bill Silcock. Although I still recognize leadership as something practiced and implemented, not learned through reading, I realized that leadership could be examined in others. I learned to be courageous and take risks from the fellows. I learned to listen from the attaches. I learned patience from Dr. Bill Silcock. All of these traits are the key elements in a leader. I walk away from this seminar knowing that I have all of the tools to become a great leader.

The biggest benefit I was hoping to gain from this class was worldly perspectives. This class did not lack in any number of worldly views. My favorite discussion was Armen Sargsyan’s perspective on the Armenian genocide. This was very topical for its centennial anniversary. The genocide is barely remembered or formally recognized by governments across the globe – including the United States – for political gain.

I also learned a different perspective from our guest speakers, Kate O’Brian from Al Jazeera America and war photographer Bill Putnam. Their perspective of American journalists overseas was eye opening. As I hope to one day cover worldly news for American news outlets, I found their perspective invaluable.

I am grateful I had the experience of getting to know this group of leaders. My time with them has been invaluable to my growth and I learned a new perspective and value of journalism across the world.

Reviewed by Krista Kull

One Comment on “Final thoughts on leadership and the Humphrey Seminar”

1. Hey Alexis, thank you for your thoughts! I still cannot believe how fast this time passed…