Globally Me

By Kate Sitter

I’m no stranger to branding. Anyone growing up with incessant commercials, jingles and logos is familiar. I’m also no stranger to personal branding. How else is a middle child supposed to get attention?

But on the question of global branding, I stuttered. Sure, I’m the theatric middle child of three whose accent color is leopard print. But what is that girl’s business on a global scale?

Here’s the thing—business is global. The digital innovation made it so. So wouldn’t that make my business on a global scale inherently… global?

The digital innovation was a disruption. The Internet irrevocably changed the way brands, consumers, friends and the government communicated, shared information, gave feedback and affected change.

How this affects personal branding is in exposure potential. Social media profiles are public by default. My Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and about.me profiles offer an even landscape of exposure. This means that there is no filter that prevents a student in Germany from connecting with me on Instagram after searching a random tag such as “nature.”

The Internet offers a global, interconnected experience. It’s one that I am inherently part of through no choice of my own. What is a choice is to make my personal brand globally appealing.

After studying abroad in Greece and Italy, my global mindset was expanded. Identifying the differences between American and European culture inspired me to ditch ethnocentricity and to become more open-minded. It’s a naiveté we’re no longer allotted, believing that all value is capped from sea to shining sea.

Kate1

There is rich culture, rich value in the thoughts and practices of other cultures. By realizing this, the language we use to brand ourselves and the mission we stand for becomes more accepting.

2 Comments on “Globally Me”

1. Kate,

Your thoughts about a globalized network are so on-point. It’s staggering to think about, really.

I’d love to time-travel a century back in time to the 1910s and pick contemporary Americans’ brains. What do you think their reactions would be to this “internet”, where you can communicate with people in New York, Melbourne, Nairobi and Venice simultaneously and instantaneously? Though Jaques said it as a metaphor, “All the world’s a stage” is true today in the fullest extent. As a soon-to-be college grad, I couldn’t be more happy to have millions of employers virtually at my doorstep.

2. Kate,

Nice to know about your study-abroad experience. There really is no such thing as a global exposure, because it’s all global, so it should just be exposure. Getting to go to other countries does help though. It’s something I hope to do once graduated. Learning from other cultures, newsrooms, reporters, etc. is rewarding, and reminds us to always learn about other cultures so that we can appreciate and respect them to the fullest.

Miguel