Leadership lesson: Always be ready to go!

This morning I got up and got dressed just as I usually do – I caught the 7:41 Light Rail to downtown Phoenix and was the second person to arrive in class. As we sat down for our morning team meeting I was informed that I would be starring in a commercial! After getting over my initial shock (and thanking whatever divine inspiration prompted me to do my hair this morning), I discovered a valuable leadership lesson…

Leaders must always be ready for action. Sometimes advanced notice is given, but other times you are just thrust into the limelight.  The key is to always be prepared – and when there isn’t time for preparation, take a deep breath and do the best you can.

I don’t have much formal acting experience, but people like the way I speak. I was chosen for this part because I am a decent presenter and speak in a clear, confident manner. During filming I relied on my talents, took a leap of faith and tried something new.

This type of uncomfortable experience helps us grow. The more we allow fear or intimidation to debilitate us, the harder it becomes to conquer it. So the key is to accept the healthy amount of fear and let it inspire you to greater action.

Have you ever been put on the spot? What are some ways that you have overcome your fear to achieve something greater?