Habits of Happiness :: TED Talk by Matthieu Ricard

If you’ve never watched a TED talk, I’d encourage you to not go another day without the experience – watch this one.

(If the embed video does not show up here, please click the link above to watch the video.)

This TED talk, “Matthieu Ricard on the habits of happiness,” is given by Matthieu Ricard, a Buddhist monk, author and photographer from the Himalayas. In his bio, people have called him the “happiest man in the world.”

His talks hits on a lot of points I will be presenting next week for my leadership book, Mindset, by Carol S. Dweck, Ph.D.

He speaks about the contrast between your mind’s control over good and evil, anger and happiness, familiarity and reality, love and kindness (and you can watch it with subtitles in 31 languages!).

Can you change your happiness simply by changing the habits of your mind’s thought process?

Ricard says yes, so does Mindset, and so do I.

The past couple days I’ve challenged myself to embrace the thoughts of Ricard and those presented in Mindset, and (honestly) I’ve seen the difference, and not just in my own thoughts and actions but the thoughts and actions of the friends, family and people around me.

I’d encourage everyone to watch this video and try it this week, then tell me how it worked for you.

For those familiar with TED talks, do you have a favorite?

One Comment on “Habits of Happiness :: TED Talk by Matthieu Ricard”

1. I’m watching the talk and I’m very intrigued about the principle of changing happiness by changing my thought process. I want to try it because, lately, I have been letting outside influences and things I can’t control affect me too much. I know I can control my reactions to them, but I don’t think I’m doing it right. I want to change that and I’m interested to hear more about your book and how it relates.

I apologize for that. I shouldn’t be troubling you or the class about how I react.

Ricard is a very inspirational person and I feel energized and happy watching him. Up until this point, I had never heard of TED talks, and I think I might be hooked. Or interested enough to watch another one. Thank you for showing me this