Culture shock

Forgive me if I sound a bit weird, but I am still going through a culture shock. I keep staring at the people at the light rail, asking for money…some are sleeping outside with all their possessions, because they have nowhere to go.Others are just sitting there, helplessly looking into the far distance without hope…and I wonder…What happened to these people???Does anybody really see them?The culture shock part is that they are WHITE! I try to explain this to people in my country and everybody think I’m joking. WHY? Because you will not see this picture a lot in Namibia… and if you do…It will never be a white person, because all white people in Namibia belong to  rich families. Even those who are not that wealthy, belong to a HIGHER class. The few blacks who are out there, gets something from someone who is passing by…Here, everybody walks by as if there is nobody in front of them.

Another shock hit me cold in he face the other day. Right in front of me I saw two twelve year old girls kissing. Okay, I do not discriminate. I never did…but these were KIDS! My daughter’s age…are they supposed to know about relationships at all at this age? If it was grown ups, I would not have been this shocked, but two twelve year old girls??? I don’t know, Maybe it is because this has not hit Africa yet, but they better be prepared for it…and I’m glad I’ll be over the shock by then…

About Taati

My name is Taati Niilenge from Namibia. I am a reporter, working for the Namibian Broadcasting Corporation. I am currently studying at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism as a Humphrey Fellow. I plan to make the most of this experience and take a lot of knowledge to my country, especially with regard to Social Media. i do not know a lot right now, but I AM PLANNING TO SUCCEED!

View all posts by Taati →

4 Comments on “Culture shock”

1. Culture shock is perfectly normal. But, unfortunately, so are the white poor/homeless begging on the streets. It is common in most big cities to the point where it doesn’t hold meaning any more. The homeless just blend into the landscape. There are some people who help, giving money or food, but the general attitude is that in a land of promise they did not take advantage of the opportunities that life presented to them. Like it is somehow their fault that they are left with no other choice than begging on the streets. It is not always true or fair, but that is the general thought. Even more, people will often be hesitant to give money, thinking that the man/woman will spend it on alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs and not on food, shelter, or trying to rebuild their life.

I agree that the girls probably don’t REALLY understand what they’re doing. But they think they do. American pop culture, along with the public school culture, do a pretty good job of educating children on all the drama that love and relationships can bring. So, without actually understanding the concept or the negative consequences, they feel prepared. =/

1. oh wow. Thanks…I understand better now.Our countries really have a lot to learn from each other. I’m glad we have this platform to discuss such issues

2. Hey Taati,

This is Tye, the Cronkite student who joined the seminar today. Just wanted to say great post, and great observations about homelessness in America.

I volunteer at Lodestar Day Resource Center [http://www.lodestardrc.org/home/], which is developing a unique model to solve the problem – provide health services, job placement & education programs, rather than food, money & shelter.

This is an issue I’ve spent much time thinking about, and I want to give your observations the thorough response they deserve. So, if y’all don’t mind, I will use my Friday post to do so.

Nice meeting you all, and Happy Birthday Taati!

3. Hi Tye. Thanks. So what do you actually do at this place. I would like to join you if possible. It sounds interesting. Maybe I can learn from you guys and also apply what you do here, to my country, since I am very interested in uplifting my community