A Muslim family reflects on 9/11

I found this story really touching when I first read it last week, because it was a different voice from the victims of 9/11. Many people forget that Muslims were also working at the World Trade Center so their families also carry a heavy burden and sadness when thinking of that day. I always wondered why we never heard from them, but one family, the Chowdurys, choose not to participate in the public ceremonies and activities. The article cites that Chowdhury was one of 32 Muslim victims on September 11, according to the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

The story of the hardworking immigrant father was extremely relatable and his courageous wife, struggling to keep her family together after his death and motivate her children to go on, really captures the grieving journey but with a spiritual lens. What’s even more sad is the woman’s son was born 2 days after 9/11 so he has no memory of his father. He represents the new generation that will grow up with 9/11 as simply a historical lesson in school rather than something that was lived through in real time.

No matter what race or religion, violence breaks down society and shatters lives forever. Deeper, more humane reporting about tragedies such as this one can help heal those divisions and show people the different faces that make up the victims.

2 Comments on “A Muslim family reflects on 9/11”

1. I agree with you,there are so many Muslim Families who were the victims in this 9/11 carnage but they never came to the forefront.Its very touching piece and I think once the violence enters the societies it affects the lives of all citizens of the society in absolutely devastating manner.

2. I totally agree with you: “violence breaks down societies and shatters lives for ever.”
    This is really a touching story,
    Thank you