Seth Godin – Tribes

There are so many important and meaningful leadership lessons in Seth Godin’s Tribes that it is impossible to grasp the book’s full significance in just one read.  Godin’s tactful command of the English language and deliberate use of metaphor transforms complex leadership theories into rudimentary ideas that serve to inspire and encourage the average reader to find his or her leader within. His artistry is poignant and can change your leadership paradigms, but only if you choose to let it.

Jessica Von SchellAfter listening to the book presentations in today’s class, something really struck me about about each of the lessons, especially Julia’s: We are all part of a leadership seminar, but by design that does not make us leaders. We learn about leadership theories, traits and characteristics, but none of it has any implication unless we apply it to our every day lives. So I leave you with this: Actively commit to reading Godin’s book (or any leadership book of your own) daily. Don’t try and read it cover to cover, but pull out one key element each day and search for ways to apply it to your life.

Here is what I will focus on this week:

1)  Proactive Behavior

“The largest enemy of change and leadership isn’t a no. It’s a not yet. Not yet is the safest, easiest way to forestall change. Not yet gives the status quo a change to regroup and put off the inevitable for just a while longer. Change almost never fails because it’s too early. It almost always fails because it’s too late.”

I always find myself putting things off until tomorrow – not because I am afraid of change, but because I deem other priorities more important. This week I will work to change that.

2) Eliminate “Fear” From My Vocabulary

“Fear is what holds us back. Leadership isn’t difficult but we have been trained to avoid it.”

Realizing that fear is what holds us back is a powerful thing. Once we know (and accept) what our demons are then we can work on overcoming them.

What leadership lessons will you work on this week?

3 Comments on “Seth Godin – Tribes”

1. I’m one of the few people who hadn’t heard of this book before I saw your presentation, and I definitely plan on reading it now. I love the idea of simple yet powerful leadership lessons offered from a fresh perspective. And I also really like what you said about actively committing to reading it. That’s one thing I learned during my journey through my own book: You have to be proactive in your quest to become a leader. Leadership books can have a profound impact on your life, but only if you take the tips or skills you learn and actually apply them to your life.

2. Great idea Jessica! Just reading a book isn’t going to make you a leader, but actively applying to your life will. I’ve read Tribes before and I look forward to reading it again. I read it about two years ago, but I still remember the sherpa metaphor he used. It was a little hard to follow at first, but the one message I did take away was to not aim to have followers, but to have fans. I wish you luck with those goals. I will aim to do make goals like this too.

3. I had never heard of this book, but it sounds very interesting!

I agree that it is important to APPLY the leadership lessons we learned from our books. I like how you are setting leadership goals.

Tribes sounds like it has a fresh perspective on leadership. I plan to read it over the summer.