Good leaders knows their strengths

Working in a team can be stressful, difficult and time consuming – but there are definitely benefits to not always doing things on your own.

In my group last week, I think we each experienced some of the benefits of having a group to rely on. One of the things I think we did best was taking advantage of each of our strengths. We tried to divide up the tasks according to what we each would be best at, and enjoy the most. For example, neither of Fellows felt very comfortable with their English skills so the Attachees took on the duties of writing and speaking. As a compromise we all worked together on idea generation and brainstorming.

This way of dividing up the work reminded me of the Theory of Multiple Intelligences. The idea came from developmental psychologist Howard Gardner and centers around the idea that there are various intelligences at which one can excel. Gardner believed there to be little correlation between the different areas of cognitive abilities.

He designated the following eight intelligences:

Spatial
Linguistic
Logical-mathematical
Bodily-kinesthetic
Musical
Interpersonal
Intrapersonal
Naturalistic

I found this website which offers a quiz that will tell you what intelligences you possess, or in other words, your strengths. My strongest intelligences are social or interpersonal, language or linguistic, and musical. I believe my social intelligence played a role in our groups ability to from bonds so quickly.

Now, what are your strengths?

One Comment on “Good leaders knows their strengths”

1. Great post Lauren – it was great to participate in the online test you linked to. My three strengths were in Body Movement, Social and Self. I do question the test a little bit though… it seems fairly ironic that I was a top scorer body movement (mostly because I’m extremely competitive), but that I scored in both social and self, which seem to be opposites.

Aside from the test (which was fun) I’m glad you brought in the idea of separate intelligences. I’ve always been a firm believer in this theory, especially because I was so close to people in high school that were never high achievers in school but were spectacular at sports, social skills, etc. These people are going to have just as great of an impact those of us that tend to have more success in academia, and I’m glad you poined out that it takes the groupworking together to make the biggest impact.