(lack of) Leadership at the debate

I know this is coming a little late, but I had to spend a few days recovering from the huge disappointment that was our presidential debates.

In 2008 I was a huge Obama supporter. I bought t-shirts, collected signatures and, most of all, listened to him give inspiring speech after inspiring speech. Here, finally, was a man who knew how to rally the troops for things I believed firmly in: healthcare, gay rights, an end to our stupid, misinformed wars, and perhaps even an end to the bizarre anti-intellectualism that I felt had taken hold of the country since the Bush years.

So, naturally, I was very excited about listening to my President trounce the stiff, wooden, uncharismatic    Romney. But boy was I disappointed. Obama looked tired, out of focus, off his game. He couldn’t even seem to look Romney in the face. Or look at the camera. Or use that great voice of his to counter the lies that came tumbling out of Romney’s mouth completely unchallenged by both Obama and the moderator. I don’t think either candidate really shone at this debate, but Obama looked weak and ill-prepared compared to Romney.

But it wasn’t just Obama who I was disappointed in. Jim Lehrer’s complete lack of control over the candidates led to a drawn-out, disorganized debate. Romney walked all over him, Obama got sassy and Lehrer did nothing about it. He didn’t even ask Romney about the record-setting level of b-s that he was masquerading as facts.

It’s almost enough to make me vote Green Party this year….

One Comment on “(lack of) Leadership at the debate”

1. You crack me up. I am so glad you didn’t hold back on expressing your political views.

So I have a theory that the truth-tellers of the world can’t be politicians because they would never be elected. The people don’t like nor would they accept or understand the full truth. Therefore we have two very different versions of the same story and neither one of the them is right.

There is a very good line about this phenomenon in the song called War Again by Balkan Beat Box.

I’m also convinced that you can’t be good at math to be elected. Because neither Romney’s nor Obama’s numbers ever add up.