Future of the GOP post election

Mitt Romney’s loss raises question about the future of the Republican party. What future does Mitt Romney have now that he has changed direction politically so many times?

Will he be able to reinvent himself? More importantly how will the republican party reinvent itself.

The most interesting answer to the Romney question was written by Gary Wills in a post for the New York Review. In his analysis Wills said that many politicians who lost their races went on to do great things for their party.

Al Gore continued to advocate for action in regards to climate change.

Barry Goldwater retained the influence to advise Nixon to leave the White House.

Wills asks this question:

“What vestige of a backbone is Romney left with? Things he was once proud of —health-care guarantees, opposition to noxious emissions, support of gay rights and women’s rights, he had the shamelessness to treat as matters of shame all through his years-long crawl to the Republican nomination.”

If Romney was at all sincere about his campaign promises, now is the time to go out and prove it by doing good dispite his loss. That would show true strength of character.

As for the second question: NPR commentary all week about the election has raised the question about how the Republican party is going to have to reinvent itself.

In my opinion the problem that the Republican party is having is illustrated within my own family.

Right after the election my mom posted on her Facebook wall:

“Is anybody else just sick about the election? What makes me very sad is that I guess christian values really are in the minority in this country. Obama said that this country is no longer a Christian Nation. According to the election, the majority agrees with him.”

My mom is a Republican, as this post exemplifies, because she is a Christian. The GOP has made this awkward marriage between the interests of the wealthy and the interests of conservative Christians.

What continues to boggle my mind is that Christians are supposed to care for the poor and to embrace everyone where they are, without judging them. I’m not sure how that messes with interests of the wealthy.

In my opinion if the Republicans are going to win they are going to need to reinvent their platform.

In the next Presidential election the Republicans may have a much better chance because they won’t be going up against an incumbent.

I think it is likely the Republican candidate will have a platform that is more center,  be less aligned with a religious party and will work hard to appeal to the Latino vote. It will be interesting how Marco Rubio will shape the discussion and movement toward a less extreme position within the party.

Marco Rubio, the new face of the Republican Party?

One Comment on “Future of the GOP post election”

1. Mary, you couldn’t have been more right in this post. It’s obvious that the GOP are struggling to find an identity. Specifically, I believe, if they want to survive they’re going to have to find a way to incorporate the youth vote. I’m going to be very interested to see if older folks are willing to concede social views. Otherwise, the party will continue to be split.