Servant leadership

By Alex Lancial

I absolutely believe to my core that servant leaders are the most effective leaders. Not better or worse than other leaders, but more effective.

While other leaders may establish more credibility by being at the top, a servant leader places his or herself among everyone else. They help other become better people and push others toward goals. They help people perform the best they can.

It’s the “we” that we talked about in class. By helping everyone become better, society becomes better. Other leaders can do this in speeches or personal experiences, but I think the most effective way to make society better is through servant leadership.

Rather than focusing on the best “me” he or she can be, a servant leader focuses on the best “we” we can be as a whole. They do this by helping others cultivate their skills, rather than tell them what to do or how to act.

I don’t believe one person is better than another. I think we are all equals, and leadership should model society in that way. Society need not structure itself like a pyramid because no one person is more important than another.

We can all do better as a whole, and it starts by recognizing that every person has a share in how the world and society works, and by seeing everyone as equals.

One Comment on “Servant leadership”

1. Thanks for sharing, Alex. I believe that all of us have different types of leadership styles within and definitely Servant Leadership is one of them.