The Power of Voice

Some people are naturally gifted in expressing their voice, unfortunately not all of us are. I feel that finding your voice has a lot do with how an individual is raised during childhood. I believe that it is very important to encourage children and respect their opinion. In my view that is the first step to developing their confidence to speak their mind as they become adults.
images-finding your voice
During the time I grew up, no matter how privileged an upbringing a child received, the fact that a child has their opinion was not given much consideration. I still remember, when I started my professional career, what an effort it was for me to even speak during a regular meeting in the office. As Stephen R.Covy said, “The power to discover your voice lies in the potential that was bequeathed you at birth.”*

Covy also said that voice is a combination of our body, our mind, our heart and our spirit. It is an evolving process over time, as people get exposed to more experience and knowledge.
To achieve synergy of our body, mind, heart and spirit to find our true voice, I believe that we need to be honest with ourselves as well as people around us. Respect others so that people find our voice equally respectful. Most importantly overcome any negative inner soul within yourself, to find your true voice.
* (http://www.stephencovey.com/blog/?p=16)

2 Comments on “The Power of Voice”

1. I remember as a child I hated being talked down to by people who were older than me. In their tone, I could tell that they did not respect what I had to say.

Because of this, I make a conscious effort to talk with children as if they were adults and give them and their opinions the respect they deserve.

Though it has gotten better with age, I still get a bit disappointed when someone addresses me as “buddy,” “pal,” “kid” or any other of those belittling names.

2. Thanks for your comment Domenico. I understand your perspective, a bit more maybe as I myself experienced somewhat similar situations through out my upbringing. Understood more while working with teen age children.