We are all humans

Pippi from Swedish world famous children’s book has been accused of racism

It is very hard to define racism because every individual has his or her own opinion on the topic. It does not matter which definitions are given in dictionaries, there are always issues about that topic. In my point of view there is no nation in the world that holds racism in greater horror than the United States

President Barack Obama has said: “There is not a liberal America and a conservative America – there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and Latino America and Asian America – there’s the United States of America.”

I have been in the US for only a few months and I lack the knowledge and information to evaluate the real situation. I truly think that when we talk about racism we think about those who are somehow different from us, and it does not matter how they’re different, their culture, their historical or ethnic background, their illness etc.

One can also say that tolerance is an acceptance. Having compassion and a sense of open-mindedness when it comes to the things you know nothing about.

There are many examples of intolerance and racism in Europe too. Although, because of the history, wars and people moving from one country to another we meet many diverse people, I think this is great, because diversity enriches.

For me racism is a question of tolerance, or to be more exact, a lack of tolerance. Tolerance is a commitment to respect human dignity. We talk about tolerance when you accept someone for who they are and we are fair to each others’ differences. One can also say that tolerance is an acceptance. Having compassion and a sense of open-mindedness when it comes to the things you know nothing about.

I will give you one example, what has happened in Sweden, just a few weeks ago. One of my favorite childhood books is under attack. Swedish children’s writer Astrid Lindgren is world famous for her book about a girl named Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump in Swedish). She is being accused of racism because some of the extracts and lovely pictures in this book show racist images. My world has turned up side down. How can someone blame a warmhearted writer? How can one see racism in this lovely children’s book?!

What can we do, I suggest that we expose our children to diversity at a young age, fight prejudice by teaching understanding and openness.

I share one video, where 11 year-old Matthew David Morris from Atlanta, GA sings a famous song, True Colors. Watching this video, I have hope for more tolerance.