12 SOTU Sound Bytes

I’ve always been impressed by President Obama’s oratory skills. I love listening to his speeches. It was the first time that I’d tuned in to his State of the Union speech though.

To me, one of the most impacting aspects of Obama’s SOTU address last week, was the effectiveness in personalizing his agenda and vision by interweaving and presenting the real faces of the American people through compelling stories – of the teacher, the entrepreneur, the automaker, the farmer, the doctor, the mothers and fathers, the unemployed, the minimum wage earner, the employer, the immigrant, the uninsured, the soldier.

I was also hooked in by Obama’s passionate delivery, and use of key phrases that would resonate with his audience long after his one-hour address was done.

Here’s a recap of my 12 favorite SOTU 2014 sound bytes:

1. It is you, our citizens, who make the state of our union strong.
  2. I believe this can be a breakthrough year for America.
  3. As President, I’m committed to making Washington work better, and rebuilding the trust of the people who sent us here.
  4. Let’s make this a year of action.  That’s what most Americans want – for all of us in this chamber to focus on their lives, their hopes, their aspirations.  And what I believe unites the people of this nation, regardless of race or region or party, young or old, rich or poor, is the simple, profound belief in opportunity for all – the notion that if you work hard and take responsibility, you can get ahead.
  5. Opportunity is who we are.  And the defining project of our generation is to restore that promise.
  6. Climate change is a fact.  And when our children’s children look us in the eye and ask if we did all we could to leave them a safer, more stable world, with new sources of energy, I want us to be able to say yes, we did.
  7. We are stronger when America fields a full team.
  8. I firmly believe when women succeed, America succeeds.
  9. That’s the spirit that has always moved this nation forward.  It’s the spirit of citizenship – the recognition that through hard work and responsibility, we can pursue our individual dreams, but still come together as one American family to make sure the next generation can pursue its dreams as well.
  10. Give America a raise.
  11. Our leadership is defined not just by our defense against threats, but by the enormous opportunities to do good and promote understanding around the globe…  And no one is better positioned to take advantage of those opportunities than America.
  12. The America we want for our kids – a rising America where honest work is plentiful and communities are strong; where prosperity is widely shared and opportunity for all lets us go as far as our dreams and toil will take us – none of it is easy.  But if we work together; if we summon what is best in us, with our feet planted firmly in today but our eyes cast towards tomorrow – I know it’s within our reach.

@rhondajaipaul

One Comment on “12 SOTU Sound Bytes”

1. Obama does have a unique voice. YOu can hear it in his oratory style.
    I have read about how he rewrites his speeches. It would be interesting to see how much of what he “performs” as president is driven by his natural ability to speak with confidence vrs driven by “handlers” – speech writers and such.