Thatcherism

thatcher

Few leaders have the distinction of being so influential as to have an ideology named after their political philosophy. Margaret Thatcher is one of them. Her politics touted free markets, minimalizing of government spending and self-reliance. Thatcher seems to be a born leader who came from modest beginnings. Her sharp wit and drive served her well in her political career enabling her to become not only the first woman to serve as Prime Minister of the UK, but a leader of significant influence and importance.

Thatcher’s strong leadership style was not without its critics, although criticism seemed to only fuel her will even more. Thatcher had this to say about criticism: “I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.”

Yury Gavrilov was a journalist working for Russia’s Red Army newspaper when he coined her infamous nickname “The Iron Lady”. That moniker is rightly credited as having solidified her political standing and aptly defining her character.

“Margaret Thatcher, Milk Snatcher” was another nickname that gained some traction earlier in her career. That name was earned when she abolished free milk from public schools. As silly as that name may seem, it offers some great insight into her philosophical point of view, a philosophy of self-reliance that detested the giving or receiving of handouts. This manner of belief was what made her both popular and condemned by so many.

To call her a determined unswerving authoritarian with moral conservative tendencies might be as close to a label for her leadership style as someone could get to put this unique global powerhouse into a category. While her decisions and career are still highly controversial, the fact remains that her influence and impact is still felt throughout the world and will continue to be for some time to come.

With the help of:  Sholpan Zhaksybaeva, Krista Kull and Emily Nichols

4 Comments on “Thatcherism”

1. Dave, Sholpan, Krista and Emily,

I really enjoyed your group’s presentation on Margaret Thatcher, I think your presentation did a wonderful job explaining a very strong and complex woman. I didn’t know much about her prior to this project where I read about her relationship with our global leader (Gorbachev) and what you shared with us in your presentation. I have to say, I find her quite remarkable! While at times her policies were a bit aggressive, I admire her strength and her presence as a leader. I think that it’s her powerful presence, passion and decisive nature that makes her a great leader. I loved the clips of her speaking that you had throughout the presentation, they gave great insight into her character.

Great job!

2. Hello David, Sholpan, Krista and Emily!

I really enjoyed your presentation on Thatcher! A lot of people seem to want to fit the Iron Lady into a easy little box, which is impossible for any human being or leader, much less Thatcher. I loved that you were able to accurately paint a portrait of Thatcher as well as her personality and leadership style in your presentation without bringing in too much politicking. Too many people also want to define Thatcher’s image with her political decisions with which they do or do not agree.

Thanks!

3. There was a video piece which was carefully selected to describe the Iron lady. It was the most important moment in the presentation – to show who she is. The presenter was very much informed about the topic. it is good. And I really agree with the note in the presentation Thatcher’s strong leadership style was not without its critics,

4. Oh, Maggie Thatcher… Regardless of how you feel about her, the Iron Lady was certainly one of the most controversial leaders in British history.
    I appreciated your thorough presentation on her life and attributes. She was a woman who knew exactly what she wanted, and was incredibly motivated to reach her goals. She was an exceptional speaker, and inspired many others to follow her.
    Good work.