Lessons on Leadership

Throughout the semester, we have discussed what exactly defines leadership and what qualities a leader has. We looked at a variety of leaders throughout history and studied different leadership styles. Now that the semester is over, I have a better understanding of what kind of leader I am.

First of all, I took away quite a few lessons from the leadership book I chose to read, Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell. It is not necessarily a book on leadership, but more of a collection of anecdotes on people who have been extremely successful throughout their lives. The lessons in this book are about how to be successful, but they are relevant to being a leader as well.

In Outliers, Gladwell emphasizes the following lessons:

-Take advantage of any opportunities you’re presented with

-Practice, practice, practice!

-Work hard and be determined

-Always be willing to learn and improve

In class, we have talked about if a leader is born or made. I think that from what I have learned and read, someone may be born with qualities that make him or her a leader, but it is up to that individual to take work hard and try to better themselves. Nobody is going to be a successful leader if they aren’t willing to learn and work to gain the trust of others.

I have also come to realize that my leadership style is mostly participative. I like to collaborate with others when working in a team because I believe that everyone has good ideas to contribute and everyone’s voice should be heard. I also believe in open communication and trusting your team members to work together.

leadership