What kind of leader am I

LEADERSHIP

Leadership. Here is a word you will hear on almost a daily basis and for many years have probably been taught what makes a good one, but am I a leader?

Chances are the answer is yes, in some facet of your life, whether it is big or small, you are and act as a leader. So what kind of leader are you?

Most likely you know something about the five styles of leadership: bureaucratic, delegative, authoritarian, charismatic and participative, but which one is best?

Honestly, it depends on YOU! Each person has their own way of thinking, their own perceptions, morals and ways of communicating. So which style works best depends on which style works with your personality.

For me, that style is being adaptable.

Adaptability (1)

I believer there is a time and place for each of those five styles and I reserve the right to be them all. I want to be charismatic and inspire but I also what to be able to say, “Hey this is a tough call, but ultimately it’s mine to make and here is what we should do.”

I want to be inclusive and know that I will never be the smartest person in the room so why should I pretend to be! Listen to what those around you have to say and if it’s a good idea swallow your pride and accept it as the better option.

The book “Creating Magic” by Lee Cockerell touches on this concept of your relationships being what make you a great leader and I believe it’s true. If you aren’t trusted and inclusive people aren’t going to follow you, they’re not going to listen to you.

Your people are your brand, it is your job as a leader to bring out the very best in each and every one of them by building relationships with them and helping them to grow.

I want to foster those relationships. I want to be the person people come to, the person people trust to not only do the right thing morally, but also to do the right thing by them.