Arrival in DC/Arlington

By Malik Siraj Akbar

I woke up at 5:30 a.m today to catch US Airways flight# 44 for Washington DC. It had already started raining. I packed everything and made sure that I had not forgotten anything. I thought I hadn’t .  but now, while writing this blog entry in my Arlington hotel room, I realize I forgot to pack my Humphrey T-shirt! Walter Cronkite School of Journalism had prepared special T-shirts for its Humphrey Fellows.

Mukesh, Chev, Javed and I were lucky to get the Discount Cab for $20 to the airport. Thus, it was a great deal and we had to pay $5 each.

Washington is unlike Phoenix: It is cold here. The wind blows fast enough to compel you to wear a jacket.

After settling into our rooms, the group of Humphrey fellows went out for the search of some food. We, three journalists from Pakistan, were perhaps very lucky to find a wonderful Arabic restaurant down the Key Bridge in Arlington to eat some Pakistani food. The chef there was a Bengali and the owner was an Arab.

It was the best meal I had gormandized since coming to the United States in the last three months. We had to pay $50 for the meal but we did not have an iota of regret over spending the money. After all, you cannot get good food even at times when you have a pocketful of money.

About sahmed19

Malik Siraj Akbar is the editor of the Baloch Hal (www.thebalochhal.com), the first online English newspaper of Balochistan province in Pakistan. He also is the chief reporter for the Daily Balochistan Express and a former bureau chief of the Daily Times in Pakistan. His articles have been published on the op-ed pages of leading English-language Asian newspapers, such as the Times of India. Malik blogs on www.gmcmissing.wordpress.com

View all posts by sahmed19 →