Quotes from Another First Lady

Because Michelle Obama happens to be the wife and first lady to our group’s subject, it’s interesting to see what she says that will go down in history. Maybe she won’t be as quotable as Eleanor Roosevelt but what she says often reflects the current values of America.

“For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction. ”

One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals. And so when I hear about negative and false attacks, I really don’t invest any energy in them, because I know who I am. ”

“The truth is, in order to get things like universal health care and a revamped education system, then someone is going to have to give up a piece of their pie so that someone else can have more. ”

“The realities are that, you know, as a black man, you know, Barack can get shot going to the gas station, you know. ”

“Women in particular need to keep an eye on their physical and mental health, because if we’re scurrying to and from appointments and errands, we don’t have a lot of time to take care of ourselves. We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own ‘to do’ list. ”

“America is just downright mean. ”

“You can’t make decisions based on fear and the possibility of what might happen. We just weren’t raised that way. ”

“All of us driven by a simple belief that the world as it is just won’t do – that we have an obligation to fight for the world as it should be. ”

“Before we can work on the problems, we have to fix our souls. Our souls are broken in this nation. ”

“I mean, people are serious about moving this country in a different direction. And that makes me feel good to know that, you know, I’m not alone in my frustration. ”

“The point is that Barack, like any leader, is human. And, you know, our challenges in this country isn’t finding the next person who’s gonna deliver us from our own evil. Because our challenges are us. The challenges that this country faces is how are we as individuals in this society gonna change? What are we gonna do differently? “